Label Village Étape: a brand, qualities
The label is awarded by the French Ministry of Ecology to municipalities that meet diverse criteria. On the road, users are informed of the proximity of a village approved “Village Étape”.
What are the criteria?
A good situation:
- Be 5 minutes or 5 kilometers maximum of a national road or free motorway.
- Have a population of less than 5,000.
A real offer of services:
- Offer traditional restaurants with a sufficient number of tables.
- Offer quality hotel accommodation complemented by bed and brekfast and/or a camping.
- Have shops such as bakery, grocery store, butcher, press but also a pharmacy, a garage, an ATM.
Quality public facilities:
- Access to shady parking spaces, as well as equipped toilets for people with reduced mobility.
- The provision of a camping car, picnic and play area.
- The commitments of the municipalities in terms of both sustainable development and provision of access for persons with reduced mobility are also taken into account.
- Similarly, the village must be active in embellishing its living environment in terms of flowering and landscaping.
Offers of discovery:
- Have a tourist information point.
- Provide hiking trails and/or historical monuments.
The renewal of the label is not tacit. Every five years, it requires a control visit that meets the same conditions as the original award.